Roots of Empathy and Founder/President Mary Gordon have received multiple awards globally.
- Mary Gordon received the Governor General’s Innovation Award, May 2018
- In 2017 Roots of Empathy was chosen as one of 100 most inspiring social innovations of the year by Finnish education organization HundrED. HundrED aims to share inspirational ideas and projects across borders to improve the future of education worldwide. The innovations were identified through research, events and recommendations; over 700 projects were evaluated for their originality, impact and scalability.
- In 2017 Roots of Empathy was recognized by UpSocial in Athens, Greece and Lisbon, Portugal as an innovation best placed to address the challenge of children at risk of social exclusion through their project “Accelerating Change for Social Inclusion”.
- Roots of Empathy was chosen as one of the world’s top two best practice children’s organizations by the Klaus J Jacobs Foundation in 2017.
- As part of a Canada 150 initiative in 2017, Mary Gordon was named 1 of 50 Outstanding Canadians by Shaw Communications which recognized the outstanding people and organizations making Canada a better place for kids.
- Mary Gordon received the 2011 David E. Mitchell Award of Distinction from the Ernest C. Manning Innovation Awards, as the top social innovator in Canada.
- Mary Gordon received the 2009 Public Education Advocacy Award for the Canadian Teachers’ Federation.
- In 2004, Mary Gordon was awarded the Ontario Teachers Federation Lifetime Fellowship Award.